Friday, March 25, 2011

The Tragedy of Macbeth

I read the scene 3 of the Tragedy of Macbeth during the Thursday's class. I have to say Shakespeare’s work is really difficult to understand. The old English usage and the vocabulary are so hard for me that I have to check the dictionary and discuss with my classmates for lots of times. However, I still finished reading the third scene in the first act and made some notes by the Diigo. I think I got the main idea of this part.

In this part, three witches are gathered waiting for Macbeth and disappear after telling Macbeth that he will be the Thane of Glamis, the Thane of Cawdor and the king. Macbeth and Bnaquo are both surprised that what the witches say is true when Ross and Angus come the tell Macbeth that he becomes the Thane of Cawdor. However, they are so confused and nervous with that as they are afraid that they would betray the king.

In my opinion, this part is just the beginning of the whole story. Macbeth’s thought is changed by the witches’ words. Although Macbeth is confused, however, I think, he would believe the witches and go for the king. As we know, the king is still alive now, he has to betray the king to be the sovereign. The pursuit for the higher authority has never stopped, and this desire caused a series tragedies. I guess, that is why people call this play a famous tragedy.

No comments:

Post a Comment