Monday, March 14, 2011

The Lesson of the Hour by Frederick Douglas

Frederick Douglas was an American social reformer, orator, writer and statesman. He educated himself to read and write, and became a famous speaker for the black people.

In the Lesson of the Hour, Frederick Douglas criticized the treatment to the black people at that time. He especially focused on the lynching to the “Negros” which was really common in the south of America. He pointed that the reason why it happened was because of the big population of “Negros” who came from Africa. In the speech he indicated that the government should have take action for the equality and freedom of the black people.

In my opinion, Douglas wanted the black people to take part in the politics through his speech. Compared to Booker T Washington whose aim was to get the support from the white people to provide the vocational education and workplace but not to join the politics, Douglas’s thought was more progressive and important for the black to get the equal rights.

Although I could not fully understand what he said in the speech since my English is my second language, I tried to follow and I felt the passion and strong desire of freedom of an abolitionist leader. I think I could comprehend more if I have the text version.

No comments:

Post a Comment