Thursday, March 3, 2011

Naturalism Project 2

Our group did the presentation today. I was very nervous before since it was my first time to have a presentation in the English class. Anyway, I think we did a good job in the class and define the naturalism clearly by the previous effort.

It is really a good topic for us to discuss about the naturalism in different aspects, such as art, science or literature. We discussed the different naturalist views of the four writers. It was so interesting that although the four writers lived in the same time period (19th century), they have different opinion of naturalism. The writer I was working on was Frank Norris. He was deeply influenced by Emile Zola who is considered as the father of naturalism. In his book “McTeague” which I mainly talked today, I think he indicated the two points in his view of naturalism. The first one is people could not control the hereditary factors by themselves; the other one is the nature has a dramatic impact on people. When I concluded these two naturalist opinions, I really agreed with Frank Norris. A person was born in nature, grew in nature, and died in nature. In the other words, the circumstance will determine thought of human. I know it is hard to explain well, but I think I got the concept of his naturalist idea.

1 comment:

  1. Your language usage and writing skills are really improving. I appreciate the hard work.

    ReplyDelete