Tuesday, October 19, 2010

An American Scholar 5

In the end of the speech, Emerson claimed that the American Literature already became a new literature, which totally different with the British. At the same time, Emerson wanted the schloars not to follow the previous book blindly, which was considered as the mind of the past .We need to walk with our own feet, write with our own hands, and speak out our own thought. Also, Emerson deprecate the bullionism, emphasize the value of humanity. In his opinion, the scholar in that time period should be confident and brave.

2 comments:

  1. I do not recognize the word 'bullionism' as having to do with the speech. This word refers to hoarding wealth in the form of gold or silver 'bullion.' Emerson is, however, calling on the scholars he is addressing to stop being lazy (perhaps a stronger word than Emerson might have used) and begin to tell the story of this new world and new government. Keep this in mind.

    Remember that you owe me a post about Thoreau.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your comments. I think Emerson, in his book, talked about a group of people who would like to pursue money. And I do not know how to describe them. So that is why I used this words.

    I am sorry about the delay of posting blogs. I will post the blog about Thoreau soon, as I had some problems with my computer recently....

    ReplyDelete