Monday, October 18, 2010

An American Scholar 4

I believe Emerson gave his speech to all the scholars in American. It showed the right behavior of what a scholar should be, and how to become a really eligible scholar.

First, Emerson talked about the nature, which was considered to be a boundless and connected thing in his opinion. And the endless research by human made great process of society.

In addition, Emerson mentioned that the book was the best thing to describe the mind of the past. However it has both good and bad use. People could learn a lot from the previous things. Just like what Newton said, I have been further because I am standing on the shoulder of a Giant. So the books that Emerson pointed out were filled with endless treasure. But a coin always has two sides. Although the books have a majority of advantages, it still need to be fixed as probably could not fit present. And the scholars should not be controlled by some views in the book excessively. Also, as we know the book will be studied in college for everyone, and grasp the knowledge of the book, definitely will lead a good result.

Finally in the speech, Emerson indicated that the scholars should be inspired by the really life experience, not just sit there, thinking or reading books. Action is absolutely one of the most important parts of being a successful scholar, without the true life experience, they will never comprehend the essence of scholars.

2 comments:

  1. Much of what you say here is difficult to follow. I am sending an email to you with a link to a corrected version of this blog post. I would like to set a time to go over that corrected document with you. It is apparent that you are struggling with English usage. I think that you have a reasonable understanding of the things that Emerson is saying, but I am confused by your use of English in parts of the blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your comments. I think you are right. I still have some problems with my grammar. And I believe that I need more practice in writing blogs. By the way I am grateful for your link, and it absolutely will help me a lot.

    ReplyDelete