Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Grotesque in The Nose

From the dictionary, Grotesque means a very ugly or comically distorted figure, creature, or image. In The Nose, Gogol used this way to narrate that satirical story. It is crazy that the main character Kovalyov loses his nose, and the nose becomes a real person with higher social position and  wearing the nice uniform when Kovalyov sees it walking on the street. I found it ridiculous and weird when I first time read the story. Additionally, when Kovalyov asks the nose to reattach to his face, the nose even refuses him because of the high political level it has. To Kovalyov, the nose is more important than anything, since he feels depressed and could not face the whole world without the nose. In my opinion, the nose means more than just a nose. As my previous blog said, it could also be seen as a figure of vanity. I think that is what a nose really means, and that is why the story is so attractive to me although it is so crazy and weird.

No comments:

Post a Comment