Thursday, October 20, 2011

The Extremes in Tatiana's Letter

Tatyana’s letter to Onegin. 


Another! No, no one on this earth 

Is there to whom I’d give my heart! 

That is ordained by highest fate… 

That is heaven’s will- that I am yours; 

My life till now was but a pledge, 

Of meeting with, a forward image; 

You were sent by heaven of that I’m sure 

To the grave itself you are my savior… 

In dreams you have appeared to me 

Though yet unseen, I held you dear. 



I see this part of is the most extreme part of the poem. Tatyana indicates that Onegin is the only one she would give her heart to, and even “that is ordained by highest fate” and “heaven’s will”. These words in the poem show Tatyana’s great passion of love to Onegin, and strong will to belong to Onegin. “You were sent by heaven” and “you are my savior”, these two pieces of poem absolutely show the image of Onegin in Tatyana’s eyes. 

Usually, a girl will not say such extreme thing to the man she loves. Therefore, I consider it as the most extreme part of the poem. 

No comments:

Post a Comment